About the American Legion Highway Project
National Grid is proposing the American Legion Highway Project, an important infrastructure upgrade that will modernize the local natural gas system serving over 30,000 customers in Revere, Malden, Everett, and Winthrop. This project will update our system in Revere by installing a new gas main, adding a new regulator station at National Grid’s Revere Plant, and replacing an aging regulator station to significantly improve system reliability and service to our local customers.
National Grid operates the gas system in Revere, Malden, Everett, and Winthrop. Gas service demand projections have identified a need for additional infrastructure to ensure that on the highest demand days, the local system does not experience pressure drops which can lead to service outages for our customers. The American Legion Highway Project offers a cost-effective solution to ensure reliable gas service for all system customers.
With the American Legion Highway Project, National Grid is making a significant investment to modernize its natural gas system in Revere. This project will strengthen the gas system infrastructure.
- These upgrades will ensure reliable operation of the gas system, even on the coldest winter days, ensuring uninterrupted service to all area gas customers.
- Adding an additional regulator station on Railroad Street and reconfiguring the regulator station at Revere Street will significantly improve operational flexibility, allowing for increased efficiency with regular system maintenance and replacing outdated leak-prone pipe.
- Improving the gas system in Revere will allow National Grid to continue to deliver reliable service to homes and businesses when they need it most.
- Fall / Winter 2020: Engineering and Design, Launch Outreach Program
- Spring 2021: Filing with State Siting Authorities and State/Local Municipalities
- Fall 2023: Construction Begins, Assuming All Permits in Hand
- Winter 2023: Construction Pauses for the Winter to Ensure Community Energy Supply is Safe and Remains Uninterrupted
- Spring 2024: Construction Resumes
- Fall/Winter 2024: Construction Pauses for the Winter to Ensure Community Energy Supply is Safe and Remains Uninterrupted
- Spring 2025: Construction Resumes
- Fall/Winter 2025: Construction Pauses for the Winter to Ensure Community Energy Supply is Safe and Remains Uninterrupted
- Spring 2026: Construction Resumes.
- Fall/Winter 2026: Construction Pauses for the Winter to Ensure Community Energy Supply is Safe and Remains Uninterrupted
- Spring/Summer 2027: Final Restoration Efforts are Performed and Project is Complete
- A safer, more reliable and resilient natural gas system to support new homes and businesses in Revere, Malden, Everett and Winthrop.
- Potential for more oil-to-gas conversions and lowered greenhouse gas emissions.
- More independent control of local gas supply.
- More efficient means of addressing leak-prone pipe on the system.
- Increased property tax revenues for Revere.